Affinity Healthcare Center is a senior living facility located in Paramount, California. The city has a total of 54,099 people. This facility received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. While this grade isn't too far off the city grade in Paramount which is a C, you still ought to be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Affinity Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this place a good overall grade, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the category of inspections, where it received a B. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid places that have a long list of severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest category ended up being long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Affinity Healthcare Center?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are caring for patients and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded was short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is a very poor score. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is typically a meaningful measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation. With a score in this range in this area, we weren't surprised to find this facility was well below average in two of the key staffing metrics we looked at. In fact, it supplied significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Affinity Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that have had a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which sustained UTI's. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.73 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center1.89 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita-Artesia Home Training1.97 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084
- Fmc-North Long Beach2.28 miles away145 W. Victoria Street Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 639-3122
- Davita-Nephron Dialysis2.45 miles away5820 Downey Avenue Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 663-0788
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis2.99 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center2.99 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center3.2 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey3.22 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170