Affinity Healthcare Center is a senior living facility located in Paramount, California. The city has a total of 54,099 people. This facility received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. While this grade isn't too far off the city grade in Paramount which is a C, you still ought to be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Affinity Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this place a good overall grade, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the category of inspections, where it received a B. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid places that have a long list of severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest category ended up being long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Affinity Healthcare Center?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are caring for patients and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest area is short-term care, which is the final area we scored. In this area, we gave this nursing home a grade of just D. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is generally a solid measure of the facility's rehabilitation. With a score of this caliber for this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in two of the key staffing metrics we assess. It supplied significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Affinity Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Affinity Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.73 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center1.89 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita-Artesia Home Training1.97 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084
- Fmc-North Long Beach2.28 miles away145 W. Victoria Street Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 639-3122
- Davita-Nephron Dialysis2.45 miles away5820 Downey Avenue Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 663-0788
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis2.99 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center2.99 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center3.2 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey3.22 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170