The Orchards at Wayne is a senior living facility located in Wayne, Michigan, which has 17,643 people. This facility was given a bottom of the barrel overall rating based on the data we assessed. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Wayne. The city has just two other nursing homes. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
The Orchards at Wayne
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our short-term care rating. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. Nursing grades are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, while this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this subcategory.
Does this page answer your questions about The Orchards at Wayne ?
Unfortunately, this facility didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. We gave it a grade of just D for our inspections rating. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place received significant government fines of more than $100,000. This generally suggests that a bad performance spanned more than one year.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was long-term care. We gave it a lowly F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 95.37815 percent of its patients, which is a very solid figure. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Orchards at Wayne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Orchards at Wayne , 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Orchards at Wayne , 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which sustained falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Orchards at Wayne , 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Orchards at Wayne , 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Orchards at Wayne , 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Orchards at Wayne , 3.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing signs of depression. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Orchards at Wayne , 91.43% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Orchards at Wayne , 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Orchards at Wayne , 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In The Orchards at Wayne , 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Orchards at Wayne , 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Orchards at Wayne , 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Orchards at Wayne , 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 0.14 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Henry Ford Wyandotte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away2333 Biddle Ave Wyandotte Michigan 48192Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 246-6000
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 11.88 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Forest Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.46 miles away135 S Prospect St Ypsilanti Michigan 48198Government - Hospital District or Authority(734) 547-4700
- Davita - Romulus1.66 miles away31470 Ecorse Rd Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 722-5455
- Davita - Garden West3.57 miles away5715 N Venoy Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (734) 261-9418
- Fmc Dialysis - Romulus3.85 miles away11200 Metro Airport Center Dr Ste 120 Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 14 (734) 955-7333
- Westland Dialysis of Davita3.89 miles away36588 Ford Rd Westland Michigan 48185CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 721-1030
- Fmc - Garden City5.27 miles away27201 W Warren St Dearborn Heights Michigan 48127Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 274-5568
- Greenfield Hs - Taylor5.33 miles away24565 Haig Road Taylor Michigan 48180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (313) 291-7800
- Davita - Dearborn at Home6.41 miles away22030 Park St Dearborn Michigan 48124Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 792-7343
- Davita - Dearborn6.46 miles away1185 Monroe St Dearborn Michigan 48124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 274-8100