The Orchards–Southgate is a senior living facility in Southgate, Michigan, which has a total of 30,047 people. Our rating system was not kind to this nursing home, as it received an overall grade of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Southgate. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
15400 Trenton Road,
Southgate MI 48195
75.5% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. The nursing rating analyzes a handful of factors, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this statistic.
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility only earned a D for its short-term care rating, which is actually one of its more respectable category grades. Our short-term care grades are arguably more important for people needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Based on its weak grade in this area, we weren't surprised to discover this place offers significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Orchards–Southgate?
Unfortunately, this facility didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. We gave it a grade of just D for our inspections rating. Inspection grades account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received large government fines amounting to over $100,000. This typically suggests that a facility's poor performance has been an issue for multiple years.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded was long-term care, in which this facility was given an abysmal grade in this area also. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this category, which is obviously somewhat alarming. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the facility didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 85.89212 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is quite a few points lower than average. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Orchards–Southgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Orchards–Southgate, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Orchards–Southgate, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have experienced falls which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Orchards–Southgate, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Orchards–Southgate, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Orchards–Southgate, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Orchards–Southgate, 3.44% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Orchards–Southgate, 91.43% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Orchards–Southgate, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Orchards–Southgate, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In The Orchards–Southgate, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Orchards–Southgate, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Orchards–Southgate, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Orchards–Southgate, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
- Henry Ford Wyandotte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.45 miles away2333 Biddle Ave Wyandotte Michigan 48192Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 246-6000
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - TrentonAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away5450 Fort Street Trenton Michigan 48183Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 671-3800
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 10.25 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.13 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.79 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 12.93 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Davita - Southgate1.39 miles away14752 Northline Rd Southgate Michigan 48195CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (734) 284-0005
- Riverview Dialysis of Davita1.52 miles away18236 Fort St Riverview Michigan 48193CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (734) 283-4513
- Fresenius Medical Care - Taylor3.49 miles away22970 Northline Rd Ste 100 Taylor Michigan 48180Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 287-6585
- Lincoln Park Kidney Center LLC3.82 miles away1491 Southfield Rd Lincoln Park Michigan 48146Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 928-4560
- Davita - Downriver Kidney Ctr4.56 miles away5600 Allen Rd Allen Park Michigan 48101CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 382-5933
- Greenfield Hs - Taylor4.83 miles away24565 Haig Road Taylor Michigan 48180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (313) 291-7800
- Davita - Oakwood Renal Services6.66 miles away18100 Oakwood Blvd Ste 206 Dearborn Michigan 48124Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 438-7959
- Davita - Dearborn at Home7.86 miles away22030 Park St Dearborn Michigan 48124Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 792-7343