The Orchards–Southgate is a senior living facility in Southgate, Michigan, which has a total of 30,047 people. Our rating system was not kind to this nursing home, as it received an overall grade of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Southgate. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. Inspection ratings are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This facility was assessed 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
This facility's second best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about The Orchards–Southgate?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is short-term care. This nursing home's was given a rock-bottom short-term care score where it was given an F. In forming our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Not surprisingly, we learned that this facility offers significantly less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average facility. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is long-term care. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this area, which is a rock bottom grade. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 91.735535 percent of its residents, which is somewhat below what we expected. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Orchards–Southgate Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Orchards–Southgate, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Orchards–Southgate, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Orchards–Southgate, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Orchards–Southgate, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Orchards–Southgate, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Orchards–Southgate, 3.47% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Orchards–Southgate, 91.4% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Orchards–Southgate, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Orchards–Southgate, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In The Orchards–Southgate, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Orchards–Southgate, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Orchards–Southgate, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Orchards–Southgate, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Henry Ford Wyandotte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.45 miles away2333 Biddle Ave Wyandotte Michigan 48192Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 246-6000
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - TrentonAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away5450 Fort Street Trenton Michigan 48183Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 671-3800
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 10.25 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.13 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.79 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 12.93 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Davita - Southgate1.39 miles away14752 Northline Rd Southgate Michigan 48195CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (734) 284-0005
- Riverview Dialysis of Davita1.52 miles away18236 Fort St Riverview Michigan 48193CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (734) 283-4513
- Fresenius Medical Care - Taylor3.49 miles away22970 Northline Rd Ste 100 Taylor Michigan 48180Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 287-6585
- Lincoln Park Kidney Center LLC3.82 miles away1491 Southfield Rd Lincoln Park Michigan 48146Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 928-4560
- Davita - Downriver Kidney Ctr4.56 miles away5600 Allen Rd Allen Park Michigan 48101CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 382-5933
- Greenfield Hs - Taylor4.83 miles away24565 Haig Road Taylor Michigan 48180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (313) 291-7800
- Davita - Oakwood Renal Services6.66 miles away18100 Oakwood Blvd Ste 206 Dearborn Michigan 48124Dialysis Stations: 18 (313) 438-7959
- Davita - Dearborn at Home7.86 miles away22030 Park St Dearborn Michigan 48124Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 792-7343