Advantage Living Center - Samaritan is an average-sized facility located in Detroit, Michigan. Sporting an overall rating of C, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. In our view, this nursing home looks like a solid choice for most people. The best part of this nursing home's profile was is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Advantage Living Center - Samaritan
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this facility's nursing rating exceeded its overall grade. This nursing home earned a B+ in this category, which is one of our better grades. Nursing ratings are primarily tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a patient at least once a day.
This facility's inspection rating exceeded its overall score as well. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a B. This is a better grade than its overall grade. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 11 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about Advantage Living Center - Samaritan?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of long-term care, this facility was given just a D in that area. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home administered the vaccine to only 56.410255 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was short-term care, which turned out to be a weak link for this facility. We awarded this facility a D for short-term care. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. With its weak rating in this area, we were not surprised to find that this facility offers far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we considered the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Advantage Living Center - Samaritan Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that suffered falls resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care residents which experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 3.47% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression. Some argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 91.4% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 25 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 4.61 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC2.09 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Davita - Cadieux2.87 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick3.02 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Grosse Pointe Dialysis of Davita3.45 miles away18000 E Warren Ave Detroit Michigan 48224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 343-5371
- Fmc Dialysis - East Detroit3.97 miles away22151 Moross Rd pb1, Suite G-05 Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 640-4972
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis4.48 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis4.58 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Harper Woods Dialysis of Davita4.8 miles away19265 Vernier Rd Harper Woods Michigan 48225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 640-0271