Advantage Living Center - Samaritan is an average-sized facility located in Detroit, Michigan. This is not a high quality facility with a D overall grade. Sadly, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Detroit. In our view, we'd struggle to recommend this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection score. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Advantage Living Center - Samaritan
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5555 Conner Avenue, Suite 4000,
Detroit MI 48213
87.83% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this place overall, we awarded it a B for our inspections rating. This grade is much better than the facility's overall score. Inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. This particular nursing home received 11 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
This facility also received a very impressive nursing rating. This turned out to be its second best grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an B. Our nursing rating analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Advantage Living Center - Samaritan?
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest category we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. Our long-term care grades are crucial for patients needing personal care. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to a relatively low 47.30539 percent of its residents, which is somewhat concerning. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is short-term care. This facility was given a rock bottom grade of F in that area. Short-term care grades are often used to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical nursing home. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 4 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Advantage Living Center - Samaritan Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care patients that sustained falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 3.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Advantage Living Center - Samaritan, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 4.61 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC2.09 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Davita - Cadieux2.87 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295
- Fmc Dialysis - Bewick3.02 miles away7733 E Jefferson Ave Ste 120 Detroit Michigan 48214Dialysis Stations: 30 (313) 824-3430
- Grosse Pointe Dialysis of Davita3.45 miles away18000 E Warren Ave Detroit Michigan 48224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 343-5371
- Fmc Dialysis - East Detroit3.97 miles away22151 Moross Rd pb1, Suite G-05 Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 640-4972
- Davita - Motor City Dialysis4.48 miles away4727 Saint Antoine St Suite 101 Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 2 (313) 831-6842
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan Dialysis4.58 miles away3950 Beaubien Blvd Pediatric Specialty Center Detroit Michigan 48201Dialysis Stations: 9 (313) 832-8720
- Harper Woods Dialysis of Davita4.8 miles away19265 Vernier Rd Harper Woods Michigan 48225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 640-0271