The Orchards at Redford is an average-sized facility located in Redford, Michigan. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. This place seems to have very little going for it. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
The Orchards at Redford
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
25330 West Six Mile Road,
Redford MI 48240
89.65% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we actually gave it a very strong grade in nursing, where it earned a B. We assessed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses spent with residents, in computing our score in this category. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next best area was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final measure we looked at in this area is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about The Orchards at Redford?
This nursing home received a grade of just D in the area of inspections. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the level of severity of the deficiencies. This facility was assessed one category G through L deficiency, which are among the more severe categories of deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies uncovered by the government inspectors had the potential to create actual harm to patients. Lastly, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed significant government fines in recent years of more than $100,000. This often suggests that a facility's bad track record has been an issue for several years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded is long-term care. We gave it an F in this category, which is a poor score. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the nursing home did not perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 38.490566 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Orchards at Redford Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Orchards at Redford, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Orchards at Redford, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Orchards at Redford, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Orchards at Redford, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Orchards at Redford, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Orchards at Redford, 3.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Orchards at Redford, 91.02% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Orchards at Redford, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Orchards at Redford, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In The Orchards at Redford, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Orchards at Redford, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Orchards at Redford, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Orchards at Redford, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Davita - Redford1.27 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.33 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita2.76 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit3.23 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit3.83 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Davita - Greenview3.96 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis4.02 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Fmc Dialysis - Livonia4.33 miles away32423 Schoolcraft Livonia Michigan 48150Dialysis Stations: 20 (734) 525-0780