The Orchards at Redford is an average-sized facility located in Redford, Michigan. Featuring an overall rating of C, this is a decent facility. Based on our ratings, there are certainly far worse places out there. The best part of this facility's profile was is its nursing rating. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
The Orchards at Redford
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this nursing home really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. The nursing score includes a handful of datapoints, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category ended up being its long-term care grade, where it was given a grade of B-. In the area of long-term care, we focus on the amount of services provided by a nursing home, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 88.79668 percent of its residents. This is significantly less than what we were hoping for. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about The Orchards at Redford?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received its next highest category grade in the category of short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a B- in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Our short-term care scores are presumably most critical for residents requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The key is determining what effect this had on the quality of care. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
The final category we assessed was inspections. This facility did not receive favorable government inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave it an F in this category. This pulled down this nursing home's overall score significantly. For places with bad inspection grades, you should scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This particular nursing home was hit with one category G through L deficiency, which are among the more severe deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies found by the government inspectors had potential to create actual harm to patients. Finally, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed significant government fines totaling over $100,000. This generally means that a bad performance spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Orchards at Redford Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Orchards at Redford, 8.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Orchards at Redford, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who have experienced a fall which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Orchards at Redford, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Orchards at Redford, 13.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Orchards at Redford, 18.73% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents that were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Orchards at Redford, 3.47% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Orchards at Redford, 91.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Orchards at Redford, 12.4% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Orchards at Redford, 19.67% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In The Orchards at Redford, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Orchards at Redford, 19.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Orchards at Redford, 10.71 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Orchards at Redford, 76.5% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Davita - Redford1.27 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.33 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita2.76 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit3.23 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit3.83 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Davita - Greenview3.96 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis4.02 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Fmc Dialysis - Livonia4.33 miles away32423 Schoolcraft Livonia Michigan 48150Dialysis Stations: 20 (734) 525-0780