Accel at Willow Bend is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Plano, Texas which has a population of 278,067 people. It looks like this is a fine facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable rating. This nursing home truly has plenty working in its favor. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Accel at Willow Bend
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2620 Communications Pkwy,
Plano TX 75093
77.27% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this facility performed well in short-term care. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that category. Our short-term care grades are believed to be most critical for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. This facility excelled in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It offered more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than the average nursing home. This is generally an excellent sign. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities with 59 percent of its patients returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most nursing homes.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Accel at Willow Bend?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing grade features several subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is higher than what is offered by most nursing homes. Finally, this facility also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In terms of the percentage of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, this facility performed better than the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care. We gave it a B- in that category. This is a decent grade in this category. With our long-term care rating, we focus more on the quantity of services provided by a facility, along with a series of quality statistics. In addition to offering very solid levels of nurse staffing, this facility gave the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. This combination proved to be effective as this facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. Although it had 1.94 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was better than the majority of nursing homes since it had some more complex patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Accel at Willow Bend Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Accel at Willow Bend, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Accel at Willow Bend, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which have suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Accel at Willow Bend, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Accel at Willow Bend, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Accel at Willow Bend, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Accel at Willow Bend, 4.7% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. High levels of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Accel at Willow Bend, 95.06% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Accel at Willow Bend, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Accel at Willow Bend, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Accel at Willow Bend, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Accel at Willow Bend, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Accel at Willow Bend, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Accel at Willow Bend, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Plano, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Plano, Texas has 8 other nursing homes
- Texas Health Center for Diagnostics & Surgery PlanAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away6020 W Parker Road Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(972) 403-2700
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away6200 W Parker Rd Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 981-8000
- Baylor Regional Medical Center at PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away4700 Alliance Boulevard Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Other(469) 814-2000
- The Heart Hospital Baylor PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 2.88 miles away1100 Allied Drive Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(469) 814-3278
- Methodist Hospital for SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 3.52 miles away17101 Dallas Parkway Addison Texas 75001Proprietary(469) 248-3900
- Childrens Medical Center PlanoChildrens 3.63 miles away7601 Preston Road Plano Texas 75024Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-1792
- Medical City PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away3901 W 15th St Plano Texas 75075Proprietary(972) 596-6800
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 4.85 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Renal Center of Carrollton1.19 miles away4240 International Parkway Suite 158 Carrollton Texas 75007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 306-8410
- Athios Dialysis, LLC1.38 miles away6101 Windhaven Pkwy Plano Texas 75093Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 473-7891
- Davita West Plano Dialysis2.7 miles away5036 Tennyson Parkway Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 608-1089
- Fresenius Medical Care Willow Bend, LLC3.26 miles away6823 Communications Pkwy Bldg A Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 17 (214) 474-0025
- Fmc of West Plano3.34 miles away4405 Tradition Trail Plano Texas 75093CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (972) 943-7656
- Renal Center of Plano, LLC3.76 miles away4112 W Spring Creek Parkway Suite D-200 Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 608-7831
- Plano on Custer Dialysis5.81 miles away1301 Custer Road, Suite 524 Plano Texas 75075Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 578-7047
- Carrolton Regional Dialysis Center7.34 miles away1128 North I-35 East Carrollton Texas 75006Dialysis Stations: 27 (972) 242-7648