Academy Manor is a large nursing home located in Andover, Massachusetts. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is a strong score. Based on our analysis, this facility has quite a bit going for it. The best part of this facility's impressive profile is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next section
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Wound Care
- Mental Health
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall score, this nursing home also received an elite nursing score. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an A-. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's impressive category scores came in the area of short-term care. We awarded them one of our higher grades in that area, with a score of B+. Our short-term care grade is typically used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Academy Manor?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it was awarded a score of B+. It outpaced most facilities in this category. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 76.214836 percent of its residents, which is somewhat below what we expected. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the last area we looked at, we found that this nursing home received a solid inspection report this year as well, with few major dings from government inspectors. As a result, it received a decent grade in our inspection category with a B-. This facility didn't have any major weak links. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Academy Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Academy Manor, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Academy Manor, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Academy Manor, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who had UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Academy Manor, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Academy Manor, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Academy Manor, 1.95% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Academy Manor, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Academy Manor, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Academy Manor, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Academy Manor, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Academy Manor, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Academy Manor, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Academy Manor, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 12.47 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.28 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 14 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 14 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 14.86 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.53 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home3.63 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley6.17 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen6.51 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell7.56 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc9.85 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers9.96 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350
- Versailles Dialysis LLC10.29 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fmc Services of Stoneham10.81 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454