Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke is a very-large facility in Orchard Park, New York. With an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor facility. This wasn't the worse nursing home we found, however, we'd still struggle to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2020 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of B-. The nursing rating includes quite a few datapoints, however, the most important one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, although this nursing home got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this subcategory.
Does this page answer your questions about Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke?
Short-term Care Quality
The third most favorable category we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. With our short-term care grade, we seek to forge a valuable barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 3.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is long-term care. It received an F in this category, which is a rock bottom score. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category may not provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to only 85.17745 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that sustained falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 13.2% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 91.26% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Absolut Care of Orchard Brooke, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.33 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.54 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.11 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Bertrand Chaffee HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.64 miles away224 East Main Street Springville New York 14141Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 592-2871
- Davita Orchard Park Dialysis2.16 miles away3801 Taylor Road Orchard Park New York 14127CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 209-7200
- Davita Southtowns Dialysis4.81 miles away4910 Camp Road, Suite 100 Hamburg New York 14075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 649-4072
- Davita Renal Care of Buffalo5.77 miles away550 Orchard Park Road Buffalo New York 14224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 677-0089
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis9.72 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276
- Oishei Children's Hospital of Buffalo9.79 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 818 Ellicott Street Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 4 (716) 323-1765
- Us Renal Care West Cheektowaga11.02 miles away2861 Harlem Road Buffalo New York 14225CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (716) 891-7429
- Davita Buffalo Downtown Dialysis11.19 miles away520 Ellicott St Suite 100 Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 845-5101
- Erie County Medical Center12.57 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400