Aberjona Nursing Center is the sole facility we found in Winchester, Massachusetts. With an A overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top ten percent of all nursing homes in the country. Based on our ratings, this place is just about as as good as it gets. Headlining this facility's exemplary report card is its short-term care score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aberjona Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Winchester senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our short-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing grades are mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Aberjona Nursing Center?
We gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this nursing home also performed admirably in the long-term care category. We awarded it a grade of A- for this area. This finalized truly elite report card. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aberjona Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 3.47% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 1.96% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 0.34% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 9.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 11.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 2.04% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 98.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 0.74% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 1.46% of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 1.46% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 11.3% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 80.69% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.88 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 7.61 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.83 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Davita Woburn Dialysis1.35 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center3.36 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Fmc Services of Stoneham3.43 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis4.18 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Dci Ball Square4.52 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.58 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis5.03 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)6.24 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877