Aberjona Nursing Center is one of just a couple available facilities located in Winchester, Massachusetts. With an A overall grade, we rated this nursing home in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the nation. Based on our ratings, this facility is just about as as good as it gets. Headlining this facility's remarkable profile is its inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Aberjona Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home performed well in inspections, where it earned an A. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to emphasize the fact that this nursing home received a strong grade of A in our short-term care area. Our short-term care scores are presumably most important for patients needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Aberjona Nursing Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Our nursing grade is largely tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this facility was awarded a very strong long-term care score. In fact, we gave it an A- in that category, rounding out a straight A profile. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aberjona Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by poor nursing care. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 1.95% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many believe that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 91.63% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aberjona Nursing Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.88 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 7.61 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.83 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Davita Woburn Dialysis1.35 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center3.36 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Fmc Services of Stoneham3.43 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis4.18 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Dci Ball Square4.52 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.58 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis5.03 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)6.24 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877