Abby Gardens Healthcare Center is in San Diego, California. This city is among the most densely populated cities in the country with has a total of 1,241,364 people. This is a quality nursing home. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a strong score. We found this nursing home to be better than most of the nursing homes in San Diego, which has a city grade of B. If you look below, you will see this facility's category grades, which are also strong.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Abby Gardens Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jan 10, 2019 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Abby Gardens Healthcare Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on San Diego senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Among its many impressive scores, this nursing home received an excellent nursing rating. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in that area. In computing a facility's nursing rating, we assess the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Abby Gardens Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also received favorable short-term care grades this year. In fact, we gave them one of our stronger grades in that area, with a grade of B. In crafting these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B. This facility didn't turn out to have any real weak links. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are kept in good health. After looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were not able to locate this place's vaccination data. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.14 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 5.15 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center0.86 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego1.29 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego3.54 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis3.59 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College5.79 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Ucsd Dialysis Center5.88 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis6.37 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East6.44 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100