Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is located in the large metropolitan area of Saint Petersburg, Florida which has a population of 341,043 people. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Even in a city with 27 other nursing homes, this nursing home should be a sound choice. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category scores was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this category. Facilities that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. There are several subcategories within this grade. Most of these factors relate to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is short-term care. We gave it a C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our short-term care grades are critical for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this nursing home. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents that suffered a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that had urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.43% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 94.61% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 4.95 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 12.08 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Fmc - Pinellas Park2.54 miles away7910 Us Hwy 19n Pinellas Park Florida 33781CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (727) 544-5916
- H Street North - St Petersburg3.95 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654
- St Petersburg Dialysis4.4 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg Kidney Care4.66 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis4.94 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- St Petersburg South Dialysis5.11 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg5.25 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg5.42 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527