Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is located in the large metropolitan area of Saint Petersburg, Florida which has a population of 341,043 people. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Even in a city with 16 other nursing homes, this nursing home should be a sound choice. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saint Petersburg senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this facility an B-. Nursing ratings are primarily based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a relatively low total compared with most other facilities. Finally, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third best category score in the category of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in this category, which is a decent grade. In calculating our long-term care scores, we analyze the assistance with daily living received by the nursing home's patients. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was short-term care. We awarded this facility a D in the area of short-term care, making this the nursing home's worst grade. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that had falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.53% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 95.81% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.64 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Abbey Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 77.72% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 15 other nursing homes
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 4.95 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.14 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 12.08 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Fmc - Pinellas Park2.54 miles away7910 Us Hwy 19n Pinellas Park Florida 33781CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (727) 544-5916
- H Street North - St Petersburg3.95 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654
- St Petersburg Dialysis4.4 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- St Petersburg Kidney Care4.66 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis4.94 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- St Petersburg South Dialysis5.11 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg5.25 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg5.42 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527