A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care is a large nursing home in San Jose, California. With an overall score of B-, this looks like a solid nursing home. While there isn't anything wrong with a B-, it is worth noting that San Jose received a city grade of B+ so there are some good options in this city. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive nursing grade, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on San Jose senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's nursing rating is notably more impressive than its overall score. Due to a strong performance in this category, it earned one of our better scores in that category with a B+. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses commit to patients as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This nursing home also performed well in the area of inspections. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with an B+. Inspection grades weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a solid grade of B-. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, this facility was awarded an acceptable long-term care score of B-. In the category of long-term care, we analyze the amount of care offered by a facility, rather than more medically-intensive services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 95.66474 percent of its patients, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression could be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 95.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In A Grace Sub Acute & Skilled Care, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.24 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.58 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 3.74 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.48 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose1.16 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center1.32 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center1.99 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC2 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek2.14 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center2.19 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- San Jose at Home2.25 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center3.08 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756