Wingate at Hampden is a facility in Hampden, Massachusetts, which has a population of 5,109 people. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a well below average facility. Based on our assessment, we would struggle to recommend this facility. Lastly, this facility had an ownership change in the last year. Hopefully, new ownership is able to elevate its quality standards.
Wingate at Hampden
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Wingate at Hampden has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this place's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid places that had too many severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this nursing home still received a relatively positive report.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing score is largely based on a facility's nurse staffing. This place averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is not an impressive total. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Wingate at Hampden?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received its third best category grade in the category of long-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in this area, which is a respectable score. Our long-term care grades are crucial for prospective residents looking for non-healthcare services such as personal care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 79.86799 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly lower than the national average. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next category, this nursing home really didn't perform very well here either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is really as bad as it gets. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is frequently a meaningful measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. With its grade in this category, we were not surprised to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wingate at Hampden Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wingate at Hampden, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wingate at Hampden, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wingate at Hampden, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wingate at Hampden, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wingate at Hampden, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wingate at Hampden, 1.95% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wingate at Hampden, 91.63% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wingate at Hampden, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wingate at Hampden, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Wingate at Hampden, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wingate at Hampden, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wingate at Hampden, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wingate at Hampden, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 9.35 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.28 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.73 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.81 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.84 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)6.98 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC7.38 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- Palomba Drive Dialysis8.15 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Springfield Dialysis Center8.26 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Enfield Dialysis Center8.34 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)8.84 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC9.28 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Palmer9.29 miles away42 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 284-0700