St John's Penfield Homes is in Fairport, New York, a city with a total of 41,104 people. This facility is ranked among the top nursing homes we found. In fact, it was given our top rating. Based on our assessment, this nursing home is really as good as it gets. If you look below, you can see this nursing home's category scores, which look to be equally strong as its overall grade.
St John's Penfield Homes
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
65 Sonoma Drive,
Fairport NY 14450
95% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Fairport, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Fairport, New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Fairport, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize that this nursing home excelled in our nursing score. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Our nursing grade weighs a variety of factors. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility New York in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a patient more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility was given high marks in the category of long-term care. As a result, it received one of our most impressive scores in that area with a score of A+. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.611115 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St John's Penfield Homes?
Racking up another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned an A. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final category, we awarded this nursing home an A for its short-term care score. This topped off a very favorable profile. In crafting these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St John's Penfield Homes Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St John's Penfield Homes, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St John's Penfield Homes, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St John's Penfield Homes, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St John's Penfield Homes, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St John's Penfield Homes, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St John's Penfield Homes, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St John's Penfield Homes, 91.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St John's Penfield Homes, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St John's Penfield Homes, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St John's Penfield Homes, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Scores for Fairport, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Fairport, New York has 3 other nursing homes
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.3 miles away1000 South Avenue Rochester New York 14620Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 341-6736
- Rochester General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away1425 Portland Avenue Rochester New York 14621Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 922-4000
- Strong Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away601 Elmwood Ave Rochester New York 14642Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 275-2121
- Unity Hospital of RochesterAcute Care Hospitals 14.69 miles away1555 Long Pond Road Rochester New York 14626Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 723-7000
- Newark-Wayne Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.63 miles away111 Driving Park Avenue Newark New York 14513Voluntary non-profit - Private(315) 332-2022
- Clifton Springs Hospital and ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 18.08 miles away2 Coulter Road Clifton Springs New York 14432Voluntary non-profit - Private(315) 462-9561
- F F Thompson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.5 miles away350 Parrish Street Canandaigua New York 14424Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 396-6000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc.3.69 miles away445 West Commercial Street East Rochester New York 14445Dialysis Stations: 17 (585) 218-0517
- Fms-Living Center4.05 miles away6687 Pittsford Palmyra Road, Ste 38 Dialysis Unit Fairport New York 14450Dialysis Stations: 24 (585) 421-9839
- Rochester General Hospital - Bay Creek Dialysis Center6.29 miles away2010 Empire Boulevard Webster New York 14580CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (585) 922-0580
- Fms-Southern Manhattan Dialysis Center (Monroe County)6.36 miles away1150 Crosspointe Lane Ste 4 Webster New York 14580Dialysis Stations: 17 (585) 872-7395
- Freedom Center of Rochester8.17 miles away100 Meridian Centre Rochester New York 14618Dialysis Stations: 1 (585) 241-9783
- Strong Health Dialysis-Clinton Crossings8.7 miles away2400 South Clinton Avenue Building F Rochester New York 14618CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (585) 461-0770
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.9.03 miles away120 Victor Heights Parkway Victor New York 14564CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (585) 742-1250
- Fms-Monroe Community Dialysis9.74 miles away435 East Henrietta Road Hope Bldg Rochester New York 14620Dialysis Stations: 16 (585) 292-0076