Sheffield Convalescent Hospital is in the densely populated metropolitan area of San Francisco, California which has a population of 805,301 people. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the best facilities we assessed. This nursing home received one of the best scores that we offer. Even in a city featuring 17 other nursing homes, this nursing home looks like a great option. As you will see below, this place performed just as well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Sheffield Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated May 1, 2021 by Nick Reese
1133 South Van Ness Avenue,
San Francisco CA 94110
50.88% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Data for Sheffield Convalescent Hospital has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Nutritional Counseling
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. There are a host of criteria included in this category. Many of the criteria reflect staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving patients more often.
Long-term Care Quality
This top notch nursing home also fared very well in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Sheffield Convalescent Hospital?
This facility also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this nursing home was given a very strong short-term care rating. We awarded it a grade of A- in this category, resulting in this facility receiving straight A's. Our short-term care scores are vital for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sheffield Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents that experienced a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sheffield Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Scores for San Francisco, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Francisco, California has 16 other nursing homes
- California Pacific Medical Center - Mission BernalAcute Care Hospitals 0.54 miles away3555 Cesar Chavez Street San Francisco California 94110Voluntary non-profit - Church(415) 641-6562
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hosp & Trauma CtrAcute Care Hospitals 0.54 miles away1001 Potrero Avenue San Francisco California 94110Government - Local(415) 206-8000
- California Pacific Medical Center- Van Ness CampusAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away1101 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 600-6000
- Ucsf Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.32 miles away505 Parnassus Ave, Box 0296 San Francisco California 94143Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 353-2733
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away2425 Geary Blvd San Francisco California 94115Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 833-2646
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.47 miles away450 Stanyan St San Francisco California 94117Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 668-1000
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Fmc Potrero Avenue0.66 miles away626 Potrero Ave San Francisco California 94110Dialysis Stations: 25 (415) 648-4182
- San Francisco General Hospital Renal Center0.67 miles away1001 Potrero Bldg. 100, Room 342 San Francisco California 94110Dialysis Stations: 13 (415) 206-8242
- Davies Dialysis0.88 miles away45 Castro Street, South Tower 2nd Floor San Francisco California 94114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (415) 252-7030
- Rai Haight1.41 miles away1800 Haight Street San Francisco California 94117Dialysis Stations: 17 (415) 752-9886
- Pediatric Dialysis Unit at Ucsf1.61 miles away1825 4th Street, Room m5209 Box San Francisco California 94143Dialysis Stations: 6 (415) 353-2425
- Uc Chronic Dialysis/Mt. Zion2.1 miles away1675 Scott Street San Francisco California 94115Dialysis Stations: 14 (415) 885-7421
- Davita Golden Gate Dialysis2.37 miles away2700 Geary Blvd. Suite A San Francisco California 94118Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 345-1869
- San Francisco Home Training2.64 miles away1493 Webster Street San Francisco California 94115Dialysis Stations: 7 (415) 346-3382