Meadowwood Nursing Center is a facility in Gastonia, North Carolina, which has a population of 102,620 people. With a terrible overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. If you are not happy with this facility's relatively poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are six other nursing homes in Gastonia. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Meadowwood Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our short-term care rating. In determining our short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The tricky part is determining what bearing this had on quality of care. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Meadowwood Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a bottom of the barrel score in our long-term care area. It received a lowly F in this category. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.13793 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Moving on the last category of inspections, this facility really did not fare well. It received an F in our inspection rating. For nursing homes that received this bad of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home had 3 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we would like to point out that this facility received large government fines in recent years amounting to more than $100,000. This usually means that a nursing home's bad performance has been an issue for more than one year.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Meadowwood Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients that sustained falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents that have experienced a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 3.01% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 87.89% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Meadowwood Nursing Center, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Gastonia, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Gastonia, North Carolina has 6 other nursing homes
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 14.33 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 15.14 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.82 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 16.9 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.39 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia2.91 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Belmont Dialysis Center3.77 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston4.48 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis5.74 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Davita Brookshire10.35 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091
- Fresenius Kidney Care West Charlotte12.08 miles away3057 Freedom Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (704) 393-5509
- Bma Kings Mountain12.3 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Charlotte12.47 miles away14166 Steele Creek Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28275Dialysis Stations: 13 (704) 504-2667