Glastonbury Health Care Center is located in Glastonbury, Connecticut, a city with 28,762 people. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road score. In our view, this facility should be a solid choice for most people. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home was consistent in all four of our categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Glastonbury Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall grade, we gave this nursing home an A- for its inspection grade. This score is far better than the facility's overall grade. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable grade in our short-term care category. We gave this facility a better than average grade of B+ in this area. Short-term care grades are important for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Glastonbury Health Care Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This place provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is long-term care. This facility was awarded a grade of C in the category. In our long-term care assessment, we assess the quantity of services provided by a facility, along with a few qualitative data points. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 67.181465 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly less than what we expected. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glastonbury Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 6.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay patients which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 3.94% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 1.79% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 14.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 17.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 5.92% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 90.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 17.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 9.54 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glastonbury Health Care Center, 74.33% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Hartford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away80 Seymour Street Hartford Connecticut 06102Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 545-5000
- Connecticut Childrens Medical CenterChildrens 6.41 miles away282 Washington Street Hartford Connecticut 06106Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 545-9000
- St Francis Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away114 Woodland Street Hartford Connecticut 06105Voluntary non-profit - Church(860) 714-4000
- John Dempsey HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away263 Farmington Ave Farmington Connecticut 06032Government - Local(860) 679-1145
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Hospital of Central Connecticut, TheAcute Care Hospitals 12.05 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Voluntary non-profit - Other(860) 224-5011
- Middlesex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.24 miles away28 Crescent St Middletown Connecticut 06457Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 344-6000
- Manchester Dialysis Center5.03 miles away319 Main Street Manchester Connecticut 06040Dialysis Stations: 31 (860) 432-9499
- Davita Pdi Rocky Hill5.4 miles away30 Waterchase Drive Rocky Hill Connecticut 06067Dialysis Stations: 24 (860) 563-6000
- East Hartford Dialysis Center5.56 miles away200 Pitkin Street East Hartford Connecticut 06108CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (860) 282-6266
- Davita Hartford Downtown Dialysis7.03 miles away80 Seymour Street Hartford Connecticut 06115Dialysis Stations: 42 (860) 244-2108
- Davita Hartford Dialysis8.62 miles away675 Tower Avenue Hartford Connecticut 06112CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (860) 242-0735
- Davita Willard Avenue Dialysis8.71 miles away445e Willard Avenue Newington Connecticut 06111Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 667-1700
- Dialysis Center of Newington8.72 miles away375 Willard Avenue Newington Connecticut 06111Dialysis Stations: 17 (860) 667-3898
- Davita Vernon Dialysis Center9 miles away460 Hartford Turnpike Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (860) 896-1537