C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care is located in Columbia, South Carolina. The city offers a multitude of options. After receiving an overall score of A, this facility is one of the best facilities we assessed. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top fifth of all facilities in the United States. Headlining this facility's stellar profile is its nursing score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. The nursing rating includes many subcategories, however, the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received a very impressive short-term care score. Indeed, this is this nursing home's second best category score. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this area is the number of residents who returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care?
We gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final category, this nursing home also excelled in the long-term care category. We awarded it a grade of B+ for this area. This rounded out a first-rate profile. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 9.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 3.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 14.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 19.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients that were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 2.74% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 88.77% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 14.72% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 22.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 1.55 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In C M Tucker Jr Nursing Care, 22.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Columbia, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Columbia, South Carolina has 10 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Richland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away5 Medical Park Columbia South Carolina 29203Voluntary non-profit - Private(803) 296-2548
- Prisma Health BaptistAcute Care Hospitals 0.97 miles away1330 Taylor at Marion St Columbia South Carolina 29220Voluntary non-profit - Private(803) 296-5678
- Lexington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away2720 Sunset Blvd West Columbia South Carolina 29169Government - Hospital District or Authority(803) 791-2000
- Providence HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away120 Gateway Corporate Blvd Columbia South Carolina 29203Proprietary(803) 256-5300
- Fresenius Medical Care South Columbia0.57 miles away2139 Adams Grove Road Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 21 (803) 779-4073
- Fresenius Medical Care Columbia0.57 miles away2125 Adams Grove Rd Columbia South Carolina 29203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (803) 779-7511
- Fresenius Medical Care Midtown1.05 miles away150 Park Central Drive Columbia South Carolina 29203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (803) 771-0107
- Central Columbia Kidney Center1.1 miles away3511 Medical Drive Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 25 (803) 771-0518
- Fresenius Medical Care Columbia Home1.13 miles away121 Park Central Dr Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 2 (803) 799-1266
- North Main Kidney Center1.57 miles away3900 North Main Street Suite A Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 21 (803) 779-1201
- Fmc Meadowlake Dialysis4.54 miles away7631 Wilson Blvd Columbia South Carolina 29203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (803) 754-7377
- Dentsville Kidney Center4.71 miles away201 Columbia Mall Blvd Suite 141 Columbia South Carolina 29223Dialysis Stations: 10 (803) 865-1068