Bloomfield Health Care Center is in Bloomfield, Connecticut. This nursing home received an overall grade of B, which is favorable rating. Based on our analysis, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. This place was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Bloomfield Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility also earned top notch government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that category, with a grade of A. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing rating consists of a handful of datapoints, however, the paramount one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Bloomfield Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of B+. It performed better than most facilities in this area. For residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 74.4382 percent of its residents, which is slightly lower than we were hoping for. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is short-term care. We gave it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. It does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bloomfield Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 6.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 3.94% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 1.79% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 14.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 17.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 5.92% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 90.83% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 17.44% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 9.54 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bloomfield Health Care Center, 74.33% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- St Francis Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away114 Woodland Street Hartford Connecticut 06105Voluntary non-profit - Church(860) 714-4000
- Hartford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away80 Seymour Street Hartford Connecticut 06102Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 545-5000
- Connecticut Childrens Medical CenterChildrens 5.04 miles away282 Washington Street Hartford Connecticut 06106Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 545-9000
- John Dempsey HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away263 Farmington Ave Farmington Connecticut 06032Government - Local(860) 679-1145
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Hospital of Central Connecticut, TheAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Voluntary non-profit - Other(860) 224-5011
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Middlesex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.95 miles away28 Crescent St Middletown Connecticut 06457Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 344-6000
- Fmc of Western Hartford0.95 miles away725 Park Avenue, Bloomfield Connecticut 06002Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 726-0099
- Davita Hartford Dialysis1.8 miles away675 Tower Avenue Hartford Connecticut 06112CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (860) 242-0735
- Fresenius Medical Care Windsor2.6 miles away1 Emerson Drive Windsor Connecticut 06095Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 285-8612
- Davita Bloomfield Dialysis3.65 miles away29 Griffin Road South Bloomfield Connecticut 06002Dialysis Stations: 16 (860) 243-5389
- Davita Hartford Downtown Dialysis3.95 miles away80 Seymour Street Hartford Connecticut 06115Dialysis Stations: 42 (860) 244-2108
- East Hartford Dialysis Center4.98 miles away200 Pitkin Street East Hartford Connecticut 06108CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (860) 282-6266
- Uconn Dialysis Center7.48 miles away270 Farmington Ave ste160 Farmington Connecticut 06032Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 678-1459
- Dialysis Center of Newington8.14 miles away375 Willard Avenue Newington Connecticut 06111Dialysis Stations: 17 (860) 667-3898