Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center is a small facility located in Oak Park, Illinois. We gave this facility an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Oak Park. The city has just two other nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
6909 West North Avenue,
Oak Park IL 60302
52.49% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care rating this year. We gave it a C in that area. Short-term care grades are commonly used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The final statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
As it turns out, its government inspection reports were not the source of this nursing home's bottom of the barrel overall grade. It received a C in this category. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home had 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This means it avoided the more significant categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. Nursing scores are primarily based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. With a meager 3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. To pair with its subpar totals in the area of nursing hours per patient, this facility also did not perform as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing scores. We looked at the percentage of residents experiencing major falls and pressure ulcers. This place had more falls and pressure ulcers than the average facility.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded is long-term care. This nursing home received a poor grade of F in this area. For prospective patients looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is higher than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who had falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 29.52% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 87.71% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Berkeley Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.09 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.16 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Norwegian-American HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.15 miles away1044 N Francisco Ave Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 292-8200
- Fmc - River Forest Dialysis1.5 miles away103 Forest Avenue River Forest Illinois 60305CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 488-9258
- Davita Brickyard Dialysis1.53 miles away2640 N. Narragansett Ave. Suite d8 Chicago Illinois 60639Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 622-6345
- Fmc - West Suburban Dialysis Center1.76 miles away518 N Austin Suite 5000 Oak Park Illinois 60302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (708) 386-5550
- Fmc - Oak Park Dialysis Unit2.06 miles away733 West Madison Street Oak Park Illinois 60302Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 386-8757
- Maple Avenue Kidney Center2.16 miles away610 S Maple Avenue, Suite 4100 Oak Park Illinois 60304Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 660-4100
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis2.54 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051
- Fmc - Neomedica - Melrose Park2.72 miles away1111 Superior St Ste 204 Melrose Park Illinois 60160CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 338-1780
- Fmc - Austin Community Kidney Center2.87 miles away4800 W Chicago Ave., 2nd Floor Chicago Illinois 60651Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 287-0680