Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes is an average-sized nursing home located in Shelton, Connecticut. We awarded this nursing home an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the nation. You really can not do any better than this nursing home. We also gave this nursing home phenomenal grades in all of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a quality nursing home is it received an impressive inspection grade. Inspections ended up being its best category. In this category, we gave this facility a grade of A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many dominant scores, this nursing home was awarded an excellent short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- in this area. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is frequently a fair measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we consider the number of hours nurses are caring for residents and the levels of training of the nurses. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our last category, this nursing home received an extremely favorable long-term care rating. While this was not nearly as good as many of its other scores, this remains one of the stronger scores we offer. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 75.48387 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat less than we expected but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 6.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 3.94% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 1.79% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 14.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 17.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 5.92% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing signs of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 90.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 17.44% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 9.54 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Apple Rehab Shelton Lakes, 74.33% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Griffin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away130 Division St Derby Connecticut 06418Voluntary non-profit - Other(203) 732-7500
- Milford Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away300 Seaside Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 876-4000
- Bridgeport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away267 Grant Street Bridgeport Connecticut 06610Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 384-3000
- St Vincent's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.2 miles away2800 Main St Bridgeport Connecticut 06606Voluntary non-profit - Church(203) 576-5551
- Yale-New Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away20 York St New Haven Connecticut 06504Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 688-4242
- Waterbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.39 miles away64 Robbins St Waterbury Connecticut 06721Proprietary(203) 573-6000
- Danbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.97 miles away24 Hospital Ave Danbury Connecticut 06810Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 739-7000
- Davita Shelton Dialysis2.97 miles away750 Bridgeport Avenue Shelton Connecticut 06484CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (203) 925-9520
- Hawley Lane - Davita5.84 miles away425 Hawley Ln Stratford Connecticut 06614Dialysis Stations: 25 (203) 375-5438
- u.s.renal Care Orange Dialysis6.86 miles away240 Indian River Rd, Suite D Orange Connecticut 06477CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (203) 891-8992
- Davita Milford Dialysis7.6 miles away470 Bridgeport Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (203) 301-9040
- New Haven Home Dialysis8.71 miles away136 Sherman Avenue Suite 206 New Haven Connecticut 06511Dialysis Stations: 7 (203) 773-0853
- St. Raphael Dialysis Center - New Haven9.61 miles awayDialysis Unit 137 Water Street New Haven Connecticut 06511CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (203) 772-2421
- Davita Bridgeport Dialysis9.68 miles away900 Madison Avenue Bridgeport Connecticut 06606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 51 (203) 335-0191
- Davita New Haven Dialysis9.75 miles away15 Center Street New Haven Connecticut 06510CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (203) 859-7770